Old 27-06-2006, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Yellow jackets in my garden What not to do

LOL I see a picture of a small mushroom cloud rising from the middle of your
yard :-). You were lucky the gas didn't make them mad enough to come out
and defend their nest. I can handle nests - but the nests aren't on my
property, they just like to forage in my garden for food. And at any given
time, there are maybe 10-15 in the garden. I'm guessing either a large
nest(s), or a lot small ones not far away.

And those worthless "traps" have sat in the garden all day, and the yellow
jackets just fly past them, completely ignoring them

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
.com...
We had yellow jackets in the yard when the kids were small. Their nest
was underground about 8' from the house. I found it while mowing. As I
mowed I thought about the nest the kids and decided that I had to do
something. Gas. I dumped about a quart into the hole. Continued to mow
continued to thing about the nest and the little kids.

Second bright idea. I stopped the mower went into the garage and got a
news paper fashioned it into a long fuse and lighted it. I then went to
the nest and touched the fuse to the hole. Everyone watched in amazement
as flames shot out of several holes around the yard.

While it got rid of the yellow jackets, and no one was hurt. I have often
thought about the insurance claim if one of the holes had came out closer
to the house or there had been something more flammable near one of the
holes. Probably was not the best idea on retrospect

Matthew Reed wrote:
Matthew, bees do not eat turnips. When you see bees around the garden,
their main interest is the flowers. To them, you're like a maintenance
person changing fluorescent bulbs in a busy office, with your ladder
getting in everyone's way. It's their office.

snip

When I said "bee", I meant the yellow jackets. We have many "bees" around
here, and they are our friends. They don't bother us, we don't bother
them. Yellow jackets are another story. My sister-in-law is deathly
allergic to their stings, I'm not to crazy about them either, and I would
happily kill every one of them :P