Old 26-06-2006, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default ID the beastie?

"K" wrote in message
"Cat(h)" writes
I have an outsize old belfast sink type of a trough outside the house,
which I fill with flowers summer and winter. It is surrounded by all
manners of other pots of petunias, geraniums and other such, all of
which now thriving.
However, everything in my trough is being sucked dry - or so it seems -
by the tiniest of beasties. They are much smaller than green flies,
and so far as I can tell not winged. They are a very very pale shade of
greeny white, and look like dandruff on the plants. They are
particularly keen on the pansies - a leftover from winter, which are
doing quite well in another pot - which are the majority tennant in the
trough.
I intend to empty the trough and get rid of all the soil - which hasn't
been changed in too long - and destroy all the vegetation before the
beasties spread to other pots. I'm assuming this is the only way
forward.
Has anyone any idea as to what the beasties might be?

There are a lot of different species of aphid (greenfly) and within each
species there are both winged and unwinged forms. Since they spend most
of their time stationary absorbing plant sap, it's only when there is a
need for the population to migrate that any flying is needed, so most of
them don't need wings.

I'd have thought a good wash with water with a tiny bit of washing up
liquid wouldn't go amiss.
--
Kay

Could also be thrips but same cures will work

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk