Old 27-06-2006, 10:01 AM
rachel rachel is offline
Registered User

Normally the heap should be warm within but I doubt you could tell by touching the outside of the bin, I believe there are thermometers you can buy.

Anyway, I too feel the pile should be moist but not wet. I add a little soil occasionally in between the layers to buffer the moisture. 6 weeks should be enough time to see the height of the pile reducing as it rots down but not long enough to produce any compost. Takes a year normally for me; not too much woody bits as they are harder to compost if you have a small bin.

I sometimes sprinkle on some compost maker but I doubt it makes any difference over a year. I have three bins so I can rotate, good if you have the space for them.

Kind regards, Rachel