Old 27-06-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

Default Phal fertilizing question

If you leave the spike alone it might develop more flowers from the tip or a
side shoot. It might die back to a side node and then branch and develop
more flowers. It might die back all the way to the plant or it might sit
there and do nothing for months and then start to grow and bloom again when
a new spike forms, (yellows tend to do this more often than others.) For
cosmetic reasons you can remove the spike all the way down to within a 1/4
to 1/2 an inch from the plant if you want, even before it dies naturally.
You might be able to trick the old spike into branching and producing more
blooms by cutting it just above a node. Usually the first or second node
down, just below where the first flower formed is the best place to try this
trick. It must be done soon after the last flower fades. It usually works
best on large whites or pinks.

You really don't need to do anything differently now that it is done
blooming that you should not have already been doing. The number one reason
why the plant will grow but not bloom again within about a year is lack of
sufficient light levels. It wants very bright light but no direct sun. The
number two reason why it will grow but fail to bloom is insufficient
fertilizer levels, so keep fertilizing according to the fertilizer's label
direction EXCEPT, every three or four waterings use water only and really
flush it through the pot to remove any fertilizer salts that may be building
up in the potting media over time.

Now that it is done blooming it might be a good time to check the root
health below the potting media surface and potting media itself to see if it
is time to repot.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have the most gorgeous Phal. It has bloomed for more than four
months. The flowers are just now starting to fade.

I understand that it will bloom again in about six months?

I have been feeding it at every watering per instructions on orchid
food jar. Something like 1/8 tsn fertilizer to 1 quart water.

Do I continue to fertilize even when it isn't blooming?

Do I cut off the flower spikes when the blooms are gone?

As you can tell, I know next to nothing about orchids except that I
think I'm hooked and will be buying a few more soon.

Thanks

Jane