Old 27-06-2006, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Henry

Default Olives grown in Devon?

Hello

I have just read an article in today's Telegraph with interest - a farm near
Honiton in Devon has planted some Olive trees and is expecting to produce
olive oil in the future.

http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/olives.htm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ixuknews.html

As I live only a few miles away from the farm (I am near Broadclyst,
Exeter), I wondered what peoples opinions are of growing more 'exotic' fruit
trees in Britain's southern counties? Has anyone any experience of growing
fruit not commonly found here? I am aware that many plants such as oranges
can be grown as long as they are over-wintered in greenhouses, but I would
love to take advantage of our warming climate and new breeding of plants to
plant something unusual in a permanent location in the garden.

We do get frosts where I live, but rarely colder than about -4C.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks,

Henry

--