Old 27-06-2006, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Olives grown in Devon?

"Henry" wrote in message
Hello

I have just read an article in today's Telegraph with interest - a farm
near Honiton in Devon has planted some Olive trees and is expecting to
produce olive oil in the future.

http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/olives.htm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ixuknews.html

As I live only a few miles away from the farm (I am near Broadclyst,
Exeter), I wondered what peoples opinions are of growing more 'exotic'
fruit trees in Britain's southern counties? Has anyone any experience of
growing fruit not commonly found here? I am aware that many plants such as
oranges can be grown as long as they are over-wintered in greenhouses, but
I would love to take advantage of our warming climate and new breeding of
plants to plant something unusual in a permanent location in the garden.

We do get frosts where I live, but rarely colder than about -4C.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks,

Henry

--
Take out the spam to reply.

Part of the article says:-"He is also growing almonds, apricots and
persimmon and plans to experiment with exotic paw paw. Nepalese peppers and
unusual spices are also part of his growing programme"

Perhaps you could try a few of these as well.
How about Physalis -Figs-Kiwi fruit.
The list is endless but perhaps you should wait a few decades till it gets a
bit hotter:-)