Old 27-06-2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jo Ann

Default Yellow jackets in my garden

I have never had any luck with any type of yellow jacket trap. A few
might inadvertently find their way in, but nowhere near enough to make
a bit of difference to the number of yellow jackets abroad in my yard.
I also found the bait seemed to attract other unwelcome species, such
as bald faced hornets.

According to masterbeekeeper.com, the most effective way to deal with
them is by spraying an appropriate pesticide into the nest opening in
the evening (when most of them are home). They warn to dress
appropriately, secure sleeves and pants legs, establish "an
unobstructed escape route," and if light is needed, use one covered
with red cellophane so the yellow jackets cannot see it. They also
mention that 2-3 treatments will likely be needed; to avoid wearing
light colors, perfume, or cologne; and, due to the high risk of being
stung, "you may wish to seek professional help."

Jo Ann

Matthew Reed wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
Matthew, bees do not eat turnips. When you see bees around the garden,
their main interest is the flowers. To them, you're like a maintenance
person changing fluorescent bulbs in a busy office, with your ladder
getting in everyone's way. It's their office.
snip

When I said "bee", I meant the yellow jackets.

How old are you?

46