Old 27-06-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Yellow jackets in my garden

Update: I conversed with Sterling International, Inc. about why their traps
were not catching any of these. I did a bit of research and took a close
look and I believe that these are paper wasps, not yellow jackets. I did not
understand what the different insects are called. These "paper wasps" are
very common here, I've lived with them for years and am somewhat familiar
with their behavior. I just didn't know they were called paper wasps. As for
the yellow jackets, I'm also familiar with them as well, but did not know
they were "yellow jackets". We have very few of these around here, which is
a good thing. Ahh..I have learned something today

So - any experience with paper wasps? Should I take steps to trap them to
reduce the populations? I know where to look for nests, and have not seen
any around my house or garden. I know that they tolerate you approaching
their nests to about 1-2 feet before they will take defensive action - they
built nests in the entrance to an apartment I once lived in. You could stop,
look up, and see an active nest 12 inches from your nose. They pretty much
ignored us.

Again, my concern is that they may take offense to my working in the garden
with them and disturbing their foraging. Plus my children play nearby. To
date there have been no stings, but I'm careful to avoid working in their
immediate vicinity. I notice they are not in the garden during early morning
or late evening hours, but prefer the warmth of day.

Oh, here are some pics - not very good, taking pictures of them was a bit
tricky, but this one is quite good:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/June%...paperwasp2.jpg

This one is fuzzy, but it does show the legs hanging down, something that
yellow jackets do not have.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/June%...s/DSCF3593.jpg

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
Our adventures in Oregon gardening continues. Within the last week an
infestation of jellow jackets has developed in my garden, particularly in
the area where there are rows of turnips and mustard close together. I've
watched for a while, and there does not appear to be a nest nearby, they
just seem to like the area. There are so many I'm afraid to work in that
area while they are there. What to do?