Old 27-06-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Help with bed design please

"Broadback" wrote in message
Not being an artistic sort of chap, I can admire well designed gardens but
lack the vision to design them. I am planning on an island rose bed, what
would be a pleasing shape, is an oval or oblong with circular short ends
best? Also what proportion of length to breadth, is 2:1 pleasing to the
eye? As for planting I am thinking of 2 standard roses with Hybrid teas
around them. Then would dwarf patio roses make a good border, or would a
miniature box hedge look better?

Depends on the size of your garden, the aspect, the elevation, view from the
kitchen window etc etc :~))

Stake out the shape and fill lightly with sand to see how it looks. You can
brush it into the lawn when you have the shape sorted.

Think about underplanting with something evergreen to give winter interest.
Rose beds are very bare in winter.
Jenny