Old 27-06-2006, 08:30 PM posted to alt.pets.reptiles.snakes,uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default baby snake

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote
I found a baby snake on the allotment this morning. I don't know what kind
it is, so I've posted a (not great) pic of it to
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

You can have a look and tell me what kind it is if you like.

You have been privileged to see a Grass snake Steve.(Natrix natrix) The
yellow neck collar is distinctive.
Once common snake in the UK now getting rarer, not poisonous at all but a
big one (3ft+) will give you a nasty nip if angry. I speak from
experience!!!
Often breed in compost heaps where it's warmer so commonly found in
gardens/allotments because of that, as are Slow Worms (Anguis fragilis).
Just let it go about it's business undisturbed, and where there is one
there must be more. :-)

Thanks for that Bob. I didn't even realise I'd captured the head end, I had
to go and check when you mentioned the neck collar.

Steve