Old 27-06-2006, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Olives grown in Devon?

In article .com,
writes:

| Mulberries are fun if you have the space as the tree left to grow
| becomes a handsome gnarled large specimen with age.

But they are also fully hardy in the south!

| Of the tender mediteranean plants nectarines, figs and pomegranites are
| worth a try if you can give them a suitably warm S facing wall to grow
| up. Big problem in the UK is that the sun doesn't get high for long
| enough to ripen most of them properly. ...

Yup, but replace pomegranates by apricots. Pomegranates need a LOT of
heat to ripen. As you say, the winter problem is the wet - apricots,
vines, pomegranates and figs all can take pretty hard frost, but hate
being waterlogged and like a much hotter, sunnier summer than we ever
get. Apricots grow in some countries with winters that make anywhere
in the UK look mild.

Feijoa seems very hardy as a pot plant, and has evergreen, greyish
leaves. I have got a couple of flowers and hope for more - and the
flowers are edible and good (!!!), even if it doesn't fruit! Loquat
is another such plant, but the flowers aren't edible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.