Old 27-06-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with bed design please

Broadback writes
Not being an artistic sort of chap, I can admire well designed gardens
but lack the vision to design them. I am planning on an island rose
bed, what would be a pleasing shape, is an oval or oblong with circular
short ends best? Also what proportion of length to breadth, is 2:1
pleasing to the eye?

Shouldn't the Golden Ratio come in here? (Square root of 5) divided by 2
if I remember rightly.

As for planting I am thinking of 2 standard roses with Hybrid teas
around them. Then would dwarf patio roses make a good border, or would
a miniature box hedge look better?

Dwarf lavender hedge?
--
Kay