Old 28-06-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mary Beth

Default Dogwood

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote in message If the
tree is established digging in the upper four inches (mixing in
organic material) can greatly negatively affect the non-woody absorbing
roots and the mycorrhizae. Placing composted wood chips and leaves on top
(PROPERLY) can help improve soil health. I suggest that people take a
look
at what I mean by proper mulching he
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html

It is also worth mentioning the long list of problems associated with
improper pruning of trees. A great place to start for home owners and
gardeners are the following two books.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html for all around care.

And http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html for pruning.
Both
books are by Dr Alex L. Shigo and should or shall be available through
your
library. If you library needs to order them, they have a site:
http://www.shigoandtrees.com/

Additional articles (some advanced MODERN ARBORICULTURE) can be found here
free of charge (but they do not replace the books mentioned in the
latter).
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.

Thanks John! As I said in NJ, my dogwoods, (that I was told needed other
tree shade), never grew there, but in full sun.
Probably had more to do with the crawling juniper around the bottom, kept
the water in along with draining too much out. Dunno, but when they were in
the juniper they did great, in full sun, no other large trees around. Ppl
around here all say under trees, but my Dad can't get his to grow that way,
ere either. Will check out the links, thanks for takig the time

Don't care for the juniper but just might use it if I can't get the Dogwood
to grow without it. I believe it was more the good drainage, as the roots
of the juniper were all over that ground.

MaryBeth