Old 28-06-2006, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mary Beth

Default Azaleas-ping Henning?

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message newsighash-

gentle snip for space

Thank you so much Stephen for taking the time and explaining it all to me. I
will try a few more times, this time quite a few had been planted when we
first moved in last summer, sure enough, right next to the new
cement/concrete stairs! So it looks like the culprit this time! Hehehe
One of these days I AM going to have a gorgeous bloom of big azalea bushes
all around my spring garden. HA ! Thankls to ppl like you! And my
stubborn nature. lol

MaryBeth

Cultural Problems: Most problems are cultural. Some tender rhododendron
& azalea varieties are not suitable for growing outside green houses.
Cultivating rhododendrons and azaleas must be avoided. They have shallow
roots and the roots will be severely damaged by cultivating. Weed killer
from weed & feed products is a definite problem also. Salt from
sidewalks in the winter is a killer to azaleas. Soil near masonry such
as foundations and walks is usually alkaline (not acidic) and a problem.
Lawn fertilizer in the fall can set an azalea way back. Another problem
is the roots of walnut trees. They emit a chemical that is toxic to
rhododendrons, azaleas and many other kinds of plants. For specific
problems, visit my website below.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6