Old 28-06-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Default Dianthus Pinks -pruning -summer blooms?

Dave_s wrote:

Will these bloom during the summer or are they only Spring bloomers?

Even if your pinks were sold as annuals, leave them in the ground in the
fall. If the winter is not too severe they may come back even nicer next
year. This past year I dug up one clump of "annual" pinks and kept them
in a pot in the house all winter and then put them back in the ground
once the danger of freeze was over. The clump I left out in the garden
came roaring back and outbloomed the ones I'd babied. Even after they
begin to grow in the spring they can survive a hard frost.

I'm in Western Massachusetts, just a few miles from the Vermont border.

--Jenny