Old 28-06-2006, 01:26 PM posted to aus.gardens
ant

Default Why aren't there acorns on my little oaks?

Chookie wrote:
In article , "ant"
wrote:

Do oaks have to be a certain age or size before they generate
acorns, or are these trees holding out on me so I don't get any more
free trees?

Most trees don't fruit for the first however-many years-- the energy
goes into growing a good root system. With some fruit trees, you're
told to strip the fruit for the first few years, to encourage a
sturdier tree.

My guess is that oaks, being long-lived, take longer to hit silvan
puberty!

Makes sense. I'm amazed at how they thrive at my place, they really like the
awful conditions. You know what other non-native tree likes it? Chinese
Elms! I haven't had any of those little flying seeds from them, either, come
to think of it.

I appreciate any tree that'll grow well in the dry, the rocks and the wind.

I might go prowl around Braddon after work, that's where I got the original
acorns from.

--
ant