Old 28-06-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
limey

Default improving clay soil

"John McGaw" wrote :

Tony Pacc wrote:
The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's
way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

If the mulch that is already there is either fine or is coarse and already
starting to break down I'd simply turn it over and mix it into the soil as
deeply as I could. In fact, that quantity probably isn't sufficient if the
clay is as nasty as my local sort -- add several more inches of compost to
the existing mulch and turn that over. In my experience it can take a huge
quantity of organic material amendment to improve clay. I've even resorted
to adding perlite to lighten the heaviest sort. Of course you'll need to
replace the mulch on top after planting.

John McGaw

I agree with John. We have heavy clay of the worst kind - gray, streaked
with blue. Ghastly stuff. We turn the mulch in every year, add compost,
even peat moss. It takes time, but you really can build up the soil. Our
flower beds now are great, with easily turned soil. Just have patience and
keep it up.

Dora