Old 28-06-2006, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

Default improving clay soil

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

It will improve the soil much faster if you dig the mulch in to at least a
foot deep. Mix it well with the soil. Adding some peatmoss and sand will
help loosen the clay. Adding rotted manure or compost from stores like Home
Depot will make a difference. Our soil is a heavy red clay. After 13 years
of adding organic matter to the flower beds and veggie patch you would never
know it.