Old 28-06-2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default improving clay soil

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

In addition to all the other suggestions, call some REAL garden centers to
see if they sell bags of gypsum, sold specifically for busting up clay soil.
A friend has had good results with it, although it's not something that's
going to work in one season. Ask for it at Home Depot, and the knuckleheads
will probably try and walk you to the lumber department. Don't bother.