Old 28-06-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dave_s

Default Dianthus Pinks -pruning -summer blooms?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dave_s" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Dave_s" wrote in message

My bed of Dianthus Pinks have been blooming nicely for weeks.
Now all flowers are dead on 8 to 15 inch long stems. I cut off each dead
blossom but do not see any new buds. I don't plan on feeding them.

Can I shorten those long stems? Is there a special place to cut and
shorten each stem that will stimulate new buds and look less leggy? Any
web sites that show how to shorten the long stems and where to cut?
Google search was not very helpful.

Will these bloom during the summer or are they only Spring bloomers?

Thanks for hints. Dave_s

Clip them about 1/4" above the leaves below the cut. I'm in upstate NY,
and mine bloomed until November with this kind of care.

I do want to try your scheme.
Your results are good...bloom until November!!

I don't understand "......above the cut"
Ok, I am to clip [snip off] all stem beginning 1/4 inch above..
....what cut..? Please just restate your method in a few more words.

Many thanks, Dave_s

Sorry - I could've described that better. :-) Look beneath a dead flower to
the next set of leaves, and make the cut 1/4" above those leaves. If you
want the stem shorter, always make the cut 1/4" above a set of leaves.

Very helpful explanation. Now I understand and will try your method.

Thank you all for the info. Dave_s