Old 28-06-2006, 07:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
oldhickory

Default Speaking of Fire Ants...

Ouch--yes, I can relate... I swell up too...been to the ER twice with hives
from only one sting....not fun. That's why I'm freaking over the scorpions
'cause I'm guessing I'm probably just as allergic to them....or more-so.

I'll stick to the "over and out" for now...and maybe some nematodes--I saw
some at Home Depot a couple of months ago (as well as lady bugs and praying
mantis) maybe I'll check there and see.

Thanks for the responses. I tried the boiling water down the mound thing
and all that did was kill the grass. I suppose gasoline and a match is
going to be equally effective.... ;-)

I REALLY hate to use nasty chemicals but I think anyone with severe
reactions like us is justified.

Thanks again!
ie

"oldhickory" wrote in message
Speaking of fire ants....we're getting ready to drop "over and out" on our
new lawn (moved recently) and have been fighting scorpions as well (new
construction) . I have heard that diatomaceous earth around the perimeter
of the home with deal a blow to scorpions other arachnids and insects and
a friend recently told me she uses DE to fight fireants.

Anyone here used/had success with DE for fireants? Seems like it would be
non-toxic solution if it does....

cheers!
ie