Old 28-06-2006, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default rose query

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

How do I get my newly planted rambler (Paul's Himalayan Musk -

apparently
vigorous and big) to ramble into the tree I've planted it near rather

than
all over the lawn (which is what it is doing) please?

Loosely fix something strong like old rope or power cable , in a
spiral round the trunk of the tree (Tie it on at the top end, spiral
it loosely down round the trunk, fix it at ground level. Tie the rose
to the spiral with the legs of old tights, quite loosely because its
stems will get very thick and should not be compressed. Mulch the rose
root area well with old manure and compost every year, because the tree
roots will have depleted the soil of nutrients and water. Once the rose
gets up into branches (this will take a year or two) it will need no
more attachment or further help and you can remove the spiral guide
-rope.

The spiral helps the rose stem form buds which break into lots of new
long strong growths.

Janet.

Couldn't have put it better! Just come in from admiring mine which has
decided that even a standard apple tree is cramping its style and has
bridged (somehow) the gap to a nearby sycamore and is now spewing out of the
top and adding its fair share to the scent which has been filling the garden
for weeks now. Our roses are normally good but this year they are fantastic
:~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk