Old 29-06-2006, 12:33 AM posted to aus.gardens
GreenieLeBrun

Default Why aren't there acorns on my little oaks?

ant wrote:
Chookie wrote:
In article , "ant"
wrote:

Do oaks have to be a certain age or size before they generate
acorns, or are these trees holding out on me so I don't get any more
free trees?

Most trees don't fruit for the first however-many years-- the energy
goes into growing a good root system. With some fruit trees, you're
told to strip the fruit for the first few years, to encourage a
sturdier tree.

My guess is that oaks, being long-lived, take longer to hit silvan
puberty!

Makes sense. I'm amazed at how they thrive at my place, they really like the
awful conditions. You know what other non-native tree likes it? Chinese
Elms! I haven't had any of those little flying seeds from them, either, come
to think of it.

I appreciate any tree that'll grow well in the dry, the rocks and the wind.

I might go prowl around Braddon after work, that's where I got the original
acorns from.

--
ant

Olives spring to mind. You state that you are near Braddon so I guess
you are in or near the ACT, if that is the case then olives should do
well, there is apparently a massive olive tree near Cooma on the old
Hamilton Hume (I think) estate, saw it on the TV the other night.

If Oaks are doing well then you could also consider Walnuts, Chesnuts,
Almonds as well as differnt varieties of Oak such as Cork and Pin Oaks.