Old 29-06-2006, 02:57 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default snakes in yard

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:42:34 GMT, Cindy wrote:

BJ in Texas wrote, On 6/28/2006 7:58 AM:
Jonny wrote:
|| Yet, people still feed white-tailed deer and wonder why their
|| garden is torn up from time to time. Yes, they're cute,
|| blah, blah. P.S. those aren't dog paw prints in the garden.
|| --
|| Jonny

The biggest mistake the hunter that shot Bambi's mom made was
not shooting Bambi and Bambi's dad. Deer are by far the worst
pest in this area.

BJ

LOL
Same in many areas. They're diseased and starving because there are so
many.

What diseases would that be?

Don't know about any diseases. May well be, I don't know. The majority of
the local white-tail in Wimberley surrounding area I've seen are very
skinny, similar to charity commercials you see for Africans starving. Skin
and bones.
The white-tail that frequent my above ground leech field seem average
weight. My immediate neighbor has a corn feeder. The "tame" white-tail in
and around the river just west of RR12 in Wimberley proper seem fine as
well. Locals feed them.
Can understand why Cindy perceives disease, but unlikely. Possible though.
In my opinion, its simply the drought manifesting itself by the land not
providing sustenance. Don't kid yourself, there is a drought still
occurring in S. Central Texas.
White-tailed deer are not pests. Its just humans who treat them like pets
or feed them for potential food sources or trophies who create the problem
that may occur during normal circumstances. In the worst of a famine and
drought, deer will assault anyone's garden though. Don't get me wrong here.
I don't consider deer under those circumstances pests, just trying to
survive is all. That's natural, and to be overlooked. No matter the effort
put into the garden assaulted.
--
Jonny