Old 28-06-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Growing exotics and global worming

I don't believe most of the nonsense written about this. This year
has been a disaster, and I don't think that it will be unusual.
I lost a lot (including Salvia viridis and other labiates) due to
the 6 months of cold and wet. And it took forever to warm up
enough for the exotics to start.

My Passiflora incarnata didn't break surface until June, and my
Erythrina crista-galli until a fortnight later. Vegetables planted
out failed to grow, and that happened even to ones I started indoors.
A huge number of the things that the press claim we will be able to
grow don't mind frost, but DO demand a decent summer. At present
it is warm, but the nights are already closing in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.