Old 28-06-2006, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

Default shallow soil - plant recommendations

I am in the process of trying to design my garden, and unfortunately I am
clueless. but we all start somewhere.

along the length of my front garden the soil is very shallow due to a
concrete bed. one thought is to create a raised bed, and I may well
consider this if all else fails. (the entire garden and drive needs an
overhaul although cash is the limiting factor!)

could you please advise what plants have a shallow root system that I could
plant in this section? I am considering planting around October time but
would like to start giving some thought to it now.

The garden is south facing, the section faces east and is not sheltered from
the wind. In fact in does get quite windy. To solve this problem I would
probably need to avoid tall plants.

TIA

Sue
Liverpool