Old 28-06-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default Meeces

Sena wrote:
Hello urglers. I'm told you might know the answer to my question,
previously asked in a certain outmolishment.

I have meeces in the house, and I do not particularly want meeces in
the house. I mean, they're very entertaining and all that,
especially when they come out to play late at night, but it is not
cold outside and I feel they would be better off with more fresh air.

I do not want to kill said meeces, and I'm not sure I fancy coming
down in the morning to have to remove them from sticky wotnots on the
skirting board (always assuming I could get to the skirting board),
so I want to know whether those sonic thingummies work. You know the
ones, they're supposed to emit an excrutiatingly high pitched
swissle, and the meeces are supposed to pack their bags and move on
to pastures new. Or something.

So, what do you think? Do they work, or would I be wasting my money?
Have any of you got any other humane ideas for gently evicting meeces
from houses?

Either buy a humane trap or make your own, they are surprisingly easy.
Imagine two buckets, one inside the other, open end to open end, so that you
effectively have a sealed cylinder.
You can get your mice inside this cylinder thusly:
Bucket A requires two holes about an inch up from the bottom of the bucket
and facing each other (opposite sides of the bucket)
Fold a V from a piece of card about 2 inches high.
Place this in the bottom of the bucket with two holes in it, with the V
pointing towards the centre and the two arms touching the sides.
Insert food into this V, peanut butter, bacon rind etc.
Place the other bucket (B)resting on top of the card.

Mouse enters, moves the card, second bucket slides down sealing both exit
holes....I've drawn a diagram because I've gone through this a dozen times
before on usenet and a lot of people struggle to understand:

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=161dwu9