Old 29-06-2006, 10:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
ant

Default Why aren't there acorns on my little oaks?

GreenieLeBrun wrote:

Olives spring to mind. You state that you are near Braddon so I guess
you are in or near the ACT, if that is the case then olives should do
well, there is apparently a massive olive tree near Cooma on the old
Hamilton Hume (I think) estate, saw it on the TV the other night.

Yes, this is a good environment for olives. I notice the people down the
hill have put in some olives, and they are surviving. The birds might enjoy
them too.

If Oaks are doing well then you could also consider Walnuts, Chesnuts,
Almonds as well as differnt varieties of Oak such as Cork and Pin
Oaks.

Planted some walnuts years ago (and everything's irrigated), they just
shrivelled and died. The constant wind and dryness did for them. Maples HATE
it too. Mannifera gums grow well, but few others do (some of the
macarthurii survived, a few pauciflora did too, but mannifera seem to like
it).

Seems trees with tough hard leaves, like oaks and chinese elms, can handle
it better. Mind you the silver birches struggle a bit and form very thick
stubby trunks.

--
ant