Old 29-06-2006, 10:56 AM posted to aus.gardens
ant

Default Why aren't there acorns on my little oaks?

Farm1 wrote:
"ant" wrote in message

Makes sense. I'm amazed at how they thrive at my place, they really
like the awful conditions.

If yu really want tos ee the go like stink then give them some water -
15 ft in 3 years with a bit of water.

All my trees are on irrigation. It's just too dry and extreme here. High
winds, rain shadow, fast draining shale and the soil is hydrophobic.
However, the first oak survived (and thrived) for a few years before we
extended the irrigation to it. Very impressive. It's been there a lot
longer than 3 years though, and I'm pleased that it's bigger than me now.
It's a very tough environment.

I might go prowl around Braddon after work, that's where I got the
original acorns from.

There are some nice red oaks in Braddon but look around there are
heaps in your locale - they will do better than the red oaks - there
is also a local street tree book which you can get from the library
service and that willt ell you which streets have which oaks but look
next year or get any acorns into the ground VERY quickly - a bit too
late now as they've dried out.

--
ant