Old 29-06-2006, 02:42 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Speaking of Fire Ants...

In article ,
Elliot Richmond wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:55:50 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

As far as I know, Amdro is not really that bad of a bait.
Nobody else eats it.

Well.... What happens is, the fire ants are such aggressive foragers
that they get to the bait before any other ants can get to it. They
tote it back to the mound and move it underground where it eventually
gets to and kills the queen. Even in the multiple queen mounds, Amdro
will get 'em all if it is broadcast widely. When the queen dies, the
mound eventually dies. Individual worker ants only live a few days.

The other advantage of Amdro is that it breaks down quickly in the
open to harmless substances. It also breaks down quickly when it gets
wet.

Because of these restrictions, it is best to broadcast amdro when the
ants are active. They are not active at night or when it is too hot.
The last few mornings here in Austin have been ideal for spreading
amdro.

The technique I use it to treat each mound and also broadcast. Do not
put the Amdro on the mound, because the ants will not take it. They
are not programmed to recognize something placed on the mound as food.
Instead, scatter a ring of Amdro around the mound a foot or so away. I
recall one time when I started dribbling the Amdro granules around a
mound. Before I finished the ring, the ants were already taking
granules back to the mound.

When I broadcast, I also try to get the neighbors to let me do their
ye=ards at the same time. Ideal would be to get the whole block to
treat at the same time.

Elliot Richmond
Itinerant astronomy teacher

lol I've done that too!
i'll treat every yard around me as if I don't, I have new mounds in no
time flat!
--
Peace!
Om