Old 29-06-2006, 05:34 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by S John
a bloke popped round asking if I wanted any gardening services
doing, and remarked that my cherry tree needing trimming (Lopping) and would
do this for a £120. I asked him if he was sure he could do this at this
stage of the year, so having no ill affect on the tree. He told me that this
would have no affect on the tree, so thinking that my neighbour would
benefit some light this summer, agreed for him to do so.
however people have now told me that I could have done long-term damage
to the tree, leaving it open to infection, maybe killing the tree.
It is normal to prune cherries (and plums and peaches) in summer. Pruning at other times risks silverleaf and other infections. http://www.which.net/gardeningwhich/...rrypruning.pdf