Old 30-06-2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George Shirley

Default what is this mysetery vegetable?

Looks a whole lot like a Mexican Tatume squash. Squash and pumpkins are
all in the same family. I grow Tatume every year, best eaten at between
baseball and softball size but I let a few get very large for the
greatgrands to use as baby pumpkins at Halloween. The smaller ones are
very tasty: poke a knife into the squash a few times, put it in the
microwave at high for three or four minutes. Take it out and cut in
half, scoop out all the seeds and the connecting tissue. Make a mix of
ground pork sausage or ground meat, flavored the way you want it. Stuff
it into the two halves and microwave or bake until done. Makes a one
dish meal for two people.

George

Dawn wrote:
Something tells me it's not "Hales Best Jumbo Cantelope" like I thought
I planted.

younger green fruit: www.reddawn.net/temp/veg2.jpg

older and starting to turn orange! : www.reddawn.net/temp/veg1.jpg

Could this be a pumpkin? (That would explain why I had orange zucchini
last week)

Dawn