Old 30-06-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Forrest W. Appleton

Default Big healthy looking tomato plants but no fruit!

Steve, if it has been above 90° daytime temp and above 75° at night,
this is the problem. Most tomatoes will not set fruit at those
temperatures. This is why it is important to plant them early enough
that they have a chance to set their first blossoms while the
temperatures are still below those I mentioned above.

wrote:

1. The only thing I've been using in the way of fertilizer is Miracle
Grow Tomato food, once a week, mixed per the directions on the box.

2. Soil...........Well first I planted them in Miracle Grow Garden
Soil, then I read on the back about a week later not ot use with pots!
I thought I could get away with it but I replanted a few weeks later in
Miracle Grow Potting Soil to be on the safe side.

3. They are outside and they get sun almost all day long

4. It has been pretty hot and dry here in st. louis 90+. At night
probably only drops to 80 degrees.

5.See 4

6. See 4

7. I've been flicking the blossoms to encourage pollination

8. No insect damage that I can see

9. I haven't removed any part of the plant, even suckers.

All this said, my mom is growing tomatoes just fine in pots at her
house, which is also in St. louis.

Thanks!

Blossom Drop! (Cool name for a irritating problem

The problem is usually a result of some sort of stress.

What kind of fertilizer have you been using and how often?

What kind of soil do you have in the pots?

Are they outdoors?

Have there been temperature extremes between night and day?

Has the night temps gone below 55F?

Has it been overly humid or overly dry?

Is there anything you can think of that may have interfered with
pollination?

Any insect damage?

Have you removed any part of the plant (aside from young suckers)?

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.