Old 30-06-2006, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Tall Pots?

On 29 Jun 2006 16:52:03 -0700, "jtill" wrote:
I cannot get a S/H pot big enough. I have a plastic dishpan ready to
drill and pot in that but it looks like a dishpan. So Bob suggested a
bulb pan (Glazed) and that looks good to me. So I found a pretty one
and plan to drill it for S/H and plug the bottom hole. My question is,
will a 16" W X 10" D work? Dry out to fast? Other problems? Big plants
that I have re-potted, two, had short roots, about 6", most stopped at
4". Normal? I don't have enough experience to know. So I am close to
trying it. Diana is having a laughing fit over SOME of my plan! And, I
am having fun sharing my (mis) adventures with you guys! Hey, I tried
unglazed clay with PrimeAgra early on and that doesn't work at all.
Glazed works like Ray's pots plastic, the holes are tough to drill but
you get the same result. But if you use the same aspect ratio a 16" pot
would be about 20" deep. So I am going to try 16X10 and see if the
plant will adapt. One plant I bought was in an 8"W x 6" D clay with no
saucer. It has 27 pbulbs! In a regular 14" flower pot you wouldn't have
to bend over to smell it. That is is the Blc Helen Brown. Folk do not
talk much about big plants nor have pots and such for them. Funny thing
is, you pay 25-40 bucks for a NBS plant and a year later get one bloom.
For two times that, or maybe three ;-)), you can get 20 to 30 pbulbs
and a ton of blooms next time round.
Joe T

Our big S/H pots are full of Cym and Phrags. They grow roots.
I have an old standard that grows about 20-24 inches tall. I pot it
in a tree pot from a nursery. But I hang it and don't try the S/H.
I have a zygo that pushes out of a nursery tree pot every year. The
bottom is almost open on that one. But the sidewalls and roots hold
the moss and it just loves it's pot in the sun. G

Now Joe you do have to post photos to ABPO. We want to see how this
all comes out.