Old 30-06-2006, 01:55 AM posted to austin.gardening
Byram Lass

Default dying cucumbers

It seems that every time a cuke start growing well just as it gets to 2 - 3
inches, it starts dying at the end and working it's way up until the cuke is
toast. Our first cuke grew super big but never turned dark green. It just
got hard. I cut it off and left it for rot. The 2nd one to fruit is doing
nicely and I expect to harvest it in about a week. Everything else.....
The vines all look healthy and new females are growing. I'm stumped.
One observation is that I discovered some reddish orange spindly looking
insects, which I can't identify on some of the leaves and vines.
Insecticide soap didn't work, so I had to use the hard stuff.
We also have had ants crawling in/out of the flowers.

Thanks,