Old 29-06-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

Default Bugs in water butts

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Boomer wrote:
Hi All....Could anyone tell me how I get rid of the little black

lava
that
are swimming in the water butts which then seem to turn into some

sort
of native mosquito without contaminating the water I use for the

plants

My Grandad used to put a couple of goldfish from the pool in

there, and
swap them about every week.

That assumes that the OP has a pond, but if he doesn't then the oil

is much
more positive, except that killing these lava will offend some

posters!(:-)

Alan

...... Got it in one, my man! :-)
There is only one UK mossie species that stabs you - and only the
females do that, and they are not disease carriers. Live and let
live. Wreaking death and destruction in the fear of a little
irritation seems a bit harsh, don't you think?
Have you no compassion?
:-))

--
ned