Old 30-06-2006, 01:58 PM posted to austin.gardening
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Default dying cucumbers

Byram Lass wrote:

It seems that every time a cuke start growing well just as it gets to 2 - 3
inches, it starts dying at the end and working it's way up until the cuke is
toast. Our first cuke grew super big but never turned dark green. It just
got hard. I cut it off and left it for rot. The 2nd one to fruit is doing
nicely and I expect to harvest it in about a week. Everything else.....
The vines all look healthy and new females are growing. I'm stumped.
One observation is that I discovered some reddish orange spindly looking
insects, which I can't identify on some of the leaves and vines.
Insecticide soap didn't work, so I had to use the hard stuff.
We also have had ants crawling in/out of the flowers.

Thanks,

Do you have pillbugs/rolly polies in your yard? If the cukes are growing on a
trellis, I don't have an idea of what is killing them, on the other hand, if
they are growing on the ground, that (pillbugs/rolly polies) could be the cause
of the premature death of your cucumbers. Check with a reputable garden/nursery
(Gardenville versus the big boxes), people for advice on getting rid of the
bugs.

Ray
South Austin
===