Old 30-06-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Default Help with bed design please

Broadback wrote:
Not being an artistic sort of chap, I can admire well designed gardens
but lack the vision to design them. I am planning on an island rose
bed, what would be a pleasing shape, is an oval or oblong with
circular short ends best? Also what proportion of length to breadth,
is 2:1 pleasing to the eye? As for planting I am thinking of 2
standard roses with Hybrid teas around them. Then would dwarf patio
roses make a good border, or would a miniature box hedge look better?

Remember, when planted you will no longer see the shape of the bed. What you
will see is the lawn space around it.

From a design point of view, design the spaces you will see and plant the
rest. The mistake we all make at the start is to do it the other way round
and end up with random strip and lumps of lawn that make no sense.

The formal oval or formal ellipse are only likely to work in a garden where
the rest is also geometric and then best if central.
If the rest is informal, an irregular offset kidney shape would be best

pk