Old 30-06-2006, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Another plant id please

"fenwoman" wrote in message

It's a wild Euphorbia which, IME, never comes to much. It's the one

they
call caper spurge, I think (Euphorbia lathyrus). But don't try
pickling
those seeds!

Thank you for that - but we think it's a fascinating plant, he wouldn't

have
me pull it out.

I'll tell him, he'll be pleased.

Mary

It can leave a nasty burn on the skin if you get the sap on you and don't
wash it off right away.

So I understand from various websites - having learned the name.

To date it hasn't had any effect on either of us but we haven't cut it so
haven't been in contact with the sap. It seems pretty tough :-)

Mind you, several plants are reputed to have that effect but don't with us.
The only thing which causes irritation with me (apart from nettles of
course) are tomatoes. I deal with mine every day and have learned to wash my
hands and arms thoroughly immediately afterwards. Spouse reacts very
seriously to propolis but I don't.

We had no intention of trying to eat the seeds. The hens ignore it too.
There must be something instinctive ...

Mary