Old 30-06-2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

Default Tomato question -- second crop..

Most tomatos will go on bearing for all eternity with the right conditions.
Celebrity is a determinate type which means it grows to a certain height and
stops. But that's only if you remove all the suckers from along the stem.
Otherwise the suckers will grow and produce secondary plants which bear
later. Indeterminate varieties just keep on growing and produce more or less
continuously. Unless you are limited for space, don't can, don't like a wide
choice of varieties, or just don't like a lot of tomatoes, I don't see too
much reason for growing determinates IMHO.
Gary

"AndyS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Andy writes:

Well, my fridge is full of tomatoes and my fascination with fresh
salads is
starting to wane somewhat...

However, I have noticed that a SECOND crop is coming in on the
vines...
All at once, and very prolific...

The plants are Celebrity, from Home Depot, and this is north Texas
with
temps in the 90s every day and almost no rain, tho I have been
watering
the garden every other day or so with a sprinkler...

So, learned gurus, is this normal ? Am I going to get tomatoes
off these
vines until the snow falls, or is a second crop the most I can hope
for ?

Also, any advice on how to guarantee some fall tomatoes would be
nice....

I will be very tired of tomatoes for 2006, but I'd like to understand
this
second and third crop thing a little better...

Thanks,

Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS... My cantalope are turning yellow.... I will very tired of eating
cantalop
in 2-3 weeks, but for now it is pure heaven.....