Old 30-06-2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Default Nicotine solution for bugs?

I heard about a mixture that some use on roses for aphids. I'm not saying I
will try this, but I am curious.

The formula: 1 lb. loose tobacco; 7 pints water; 1 pint alcohol. Let steeo
for a week or so, until the water has turned the color of tea. They advise
using a capful of mineral spirits to deter kids (or idiots) from drinking
the stuff. Strain out the tobacco and spray.

If it does work, would it kill anything besides aphids, and would it be safe
on orchids? I'm thinking tobacco mosaic virus here, even though the tobacco
has been cured.

As I said, just curious. It sounds noxious to me.

Diana