Old 30-06-2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Tall Pots?

V_coerulea wrote:
That reminds me of something we used to do with our kids and grandkids when
they were smaller. The grandkids might still like to do it if I resurect it.
I'd take a black nursey container, sand lightly and then spray paint it with
a white enamel. When dry, the kids could paint on them, color with magic
markers, whatever. They had a ball and the designs were one-of-a-kind and
actually a work- in-progress. Some of you might be old enough to have
grandkids who like to draw and paint pictures for grandma or grandpa. Well,
here's an idea where they also get to participate in grandma's hobby.
Repotting only goes so far as a novelty interest grabber. If you don't have
kids, grandkids, or simply want a more refined look, try doing one yourself.
Not into arts and crafts? Go buy a container someone else did.
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Joe,

Okay, the tears of laughter have now stopped running down my cheeks.

If you want to go with S/H, why not go to either HD or a paint store and
purchase an inexpensive plastic pail? We did that with a large (warm
tolerant) Cym after it literally broke out of its previous pail.

Diana

OK! You folk have been great on this, I will print it all out and work
on it.

Issues outstanding;
I want these plants to look good year around. Thus the search for
something other than a washpan. I cut a 5 gallon plastic, yellow,
bucket in half, drilled two holes in it and planted Helen Brown in it.
She looks tacky to say the least.
An 8" S/H pot is 8" deep. A grown standard with 7 growths would be
happy in it, right? Than why wouldn't a 20 growth standard be happy in
a 20" W x 8"D pot? Makes sense to me. But... it should be presentable.
Remember I am a hobby type, not a grower. This is the end of the line
for these plants.
Wider pot equals more evaporation. That may be a problem, will check
with Ray.
Glazed pot works like a plastic one.(with a standpipe to hold the sump
level).
I finally got onto ABPO. What do you search for to find anything? I
have access through Roadrunner. Still looking for a Newsreader. The
thing I was using was a replayer. When I get on that I'l post pics of
all this.

Joe T
Baytown, Tx.