Old 01-07-2006, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

Default Do Picked Watermelons Coontinue to Ripen?

(---Pete---) writes:
Harry, at the local produce store this morning, I tried picking a
watermelon by choosing one with the most yellow and scabby
looking patch. This evening I opened it up and it was nasty.

Bad luck. Next time see whether they will cut the melon at the store
for you, before you buy. They might cut a small pyramid out of its
centre and let you try it. If it's no good, why would they want you
to still buy it? No harm in asking.

I think there is something good to your technique but it has to
be combined with something else like thumping. Maybe thumping
the melon and hearing a dull thud would indicate it's rotten inside.
However, if it made a hollow or ringing sound it would indicate the
flesh is more firm.

Any expert fruit pickers out there?

Yes, I can usually pick a good one by tapping on it, but it would be
too difficult to explain the different nuance. Try tapping on the lot
next time, just to see whether you can distinguish any difference.
Ask the store owner to tap on them and select a good one for you. I
sure wouldn't go for a scabby yellowed one!!! They'd be well past
their best. You want a tight glossy dark green one.