Old 01-07-2006, 08:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

Default Why aren't there acorns on my little oaks?

In article , "ant"
wrote:

Planted some walnuts years ago (and everything's irrigated), they just
shrivelled and died. The constant wind and dryness did for them. Maples HATE
it too. Mannifera gums grow well, but few others do (some of the
macarthurii survived, a few pauciflora did too, but mannifera seem to like
it).

Where are you again? If you try local species, they usually do very well,
even on quite degraded land (my back yard was probably an abbatoirs paddock
for years before WW2, but the local species are doing well, even on bits of my
back yard where I haven't done anything about the drainage.)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue