Old 01-07-2006, 06:10 AM posted to austin.gardening
marcesent

Default snakes in yard

We mostly agree, actually.

The article you quote (from two years ago) is in regards to specific
larger-range private ranches in east Texas managing deer for private
utilization (read: hunting without overhunting). Can it work? Absolutely.

But I refer to more of the state as a whole - and work back to Lakeway. An
article in yesterday's Statesman sums it up well:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/cont.../29legcol.html

The problems in Lakeway (and other urban/suburban areas) do not come from
deer breeding - as you accurately state. They come from many factors,
elimation of predators and suburban sprawl to name a few. Read the whole
article. It will do you good.

You seem to be quite bitter about the motivation of the average individual
as seeing deer and other creatures as "pests." I rather think the average
human doesn't see them that way - far from it. Problem is we all need
somewhere to live, something to eat, and a job to perform. And as a
species, well, we are taking more than our share of resources. Doesn't mean
that people don't care - it means that there needs to be some responsibility
taken, and there is some work to be done.

Point out Lakeway specifically, sure. But we all know that Lakeway is just
one example of a state full of problems. Heck, Austin itself is built in
the entirely worst spot in the state as far as ecosystem impact is
concerned. Our forefathers started the problem for us - we just continue to
inherit it.

But keep pulling obscure facts and articles out and twisting them to fit
your vitriol. And feel free to keep spouting it. Because until you quit
your job, quit driving your car, quit shopping at your local grocery, and
you're sitting naked in the dirt eating renewable-only foodstuffs (read:
nuts and berries) then you can spout off all you want at the "politicos."
Because until that point, you're a contributor to the problem, like it or
not.

Julie

"Jonny" wrote in message
k.net...
"marcesent" wrote in message

So, Doc, do we feed the white-tailed deer or not?
Between the two native predators around here, hunters and idiots driving
automobiles, the non-fed population is relatively small per sq. mile. The
black vultures are doing well on the roads, thank you. Lots and lots of
them.

Maybe the deer population in Bryan, Texas area (Brazos county) has
something to do with this:
http://www.landandlivestockpost.com/...1904leader.htm
published almost two years ago. Has some biologist hands in it I read.
Don't know of anything in the area of Lakeway that has that much set aside
deer breeding area. Don't see the relationship.

Locals around here know that if you want to keep a garden uneaten or
untrodden, keep a decent height fence around it. Isn't hard to construct
or expensive. Even in Lakeway.

Ecosystems modified by man is his/her doing. Creating a lake in midst of
the hill country, moving a bunch a people out there is another ecosystem
that wasn't there before. Made by man, for man, not deer, not birds, not
flowers, not trees; man. And it follows, to be managed for man, by man.
And it follows then, the heck with the rest of the animal/plant population
if not desired. A threat, a nuisance, or a trivial blight to pleasant
sight, for man, it will be removed in one fashion or another. Stewards of
the land? Nice sounding, almost politico air to it I might add, but not
so in the real world.
--
Jonny