Old 01-07-2006, 04:43 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default making cuttings of Colorado blue spruce

A google search on blue spruce propagation will turn up some advice:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle +Search

The following pages say it is difficult and that you probably need an
automated misting system.

http://www.isa-arbor.com/archives/is...1997/0013.html
http://www.isa-arbor.com/archives/is...1997/0018.html

If the cuttings are not terminal shoots, the plants may retain the
horizontal growth form of the lateral shoot.

Technically, the correct common name is blue Colorado spruce as the
green forms are just Colorado spruce.

David R. Hershey

wrote:
One could say the most pretty tree is the Colorado blue spruce or the
Concolor Fir. As the old adage goes -- "spruce up the looks of the
house".

Well out of my 175 Rock Elm seeds only 4 made it and are doing well,
provided can keep the grasshoppers from devouring them. But my cuttings
of Rock Elm all failed.

In their place I have blue spruce going in that greenhouse setting. I
used root hormone and am misting several times a day. If none of them
make it, it will be my last attempt on blue spruce. And I will conclude
that some species are just too difficult to root via cuttings for which
I do not have the time.

Now this year I had a beautiful blood red lilly growing. Does anyone
know if lillies are good cutting-propagation plants? How about
honeylocust? How about black-walnuts? How about sour cherries? Are any
of these easier to cutting-propagate. Perhaps none as easy as Willows,
but at least easier than elm or blue spruce.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium