Old 01-07-2006, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Help with bed design please

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mike Lyle wrote:
why wasn't I taught real maths as a kid?

I don't understand that either. I bet loads of 7-year olds would be
turned on by the idea of old Euler teaching himself by chalking on
gravestones, or the discovies of Srinivasa Ramanujan in basic
arithmetic. I suspect that the problem is that people are taught by
teachers, not mathematicians.

Indeed and mine had very bad breath..............I never asked questions
when i didn't understand to avoid him leaning over me !

So we are taught long division, or methods of multiplying fractions
parrot fashion, by people who learned them parrot fashion. Any kid
that gets a clue as to /why/ the method works, and adapts it for
themselves is not regarded as clever, but as wrong. "That's not the
way it is done", they are told. Never "This is how it works".

Then my father would ry to help me with my homework.......he'd learnt a
totally differnt system for doing things and we would have huge fights about
it..........stopped asking j=him in the end too.

It's not just sad, it's a form of child abuse in my opinion. Failing
to tell them one of the most wonderful stories we have ever learned.

True, but I still have a career in computers :~))))
Jenny