Old 01-07-2006, 11:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
ant

Default Why aren't there acorns on my little oaks?

Chookie wrote:
In article , "ant"
wrote:

Planted some walnuts years ago (and everything's irrigated), they
just shrivelled and died. The constant wind and dryness did for
them. Maples HATE it too. Mannifera gums grow well, but few others
do (some of the macarthurii survived, a few pauciflora did too, but
mannifera seem to like it).

Where are you again? If you try local species, they usually do very
well, even on quite degraded land (my back yard was probably an
abbatoirs paddock for years before WW2, but the local species are
doing well, even on bits of my back yard where I haven't done
anything about the drainage.)

A highish mountain where the Monaro starts. Very windy, and it appears to be
in a rain shadow.
We did collect some seed from the local gums some years back and propagated
them. They are some rough-barked thing, possibly a type of yellow box. They
are quite susceptible to the sticky scale that seems to come with ants. We
have done the same with the local casuarinas too, and some are growing well,
but the younger ones we planted last year succumbed to the horrible hoppers
that have appeared in plague numbers the past 2 summers. They eat
everything.

--
ant