Old 01-07-2006, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Help with bed design please

"K" wrote in message

So what exactly is the link to Fibonacci - is it that the ratio of
successive terms tends to .618?

For those who think we are drifting OT - the Fibonacci series turns up
all over nature. Each term is the sum of the two previous, starting 0 1,
so:
0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 35 56 91 ....

and whenever you see a set of spirals - sunflower, that spirally
cauliflower, cacti, fircones - counting the spirals in one direction
then counting the spirals in the direction crossing the first, gives you
two successive terms of the Fibonacci series.

e to the power i (pie) = -1 where i = sqrt -1
substitute j for i (if you are younger than me)
Also a bit of useless information but could explain the existence of a
God:-)

--
Kay

The number of petals found on most flowers are Fabonacci numbers.
Douady and Couder produced an explanation for such botanical
arrangements - specifically in terms of phyllotaxy - in the 1990's.

http://www.ontarioprofessionals.com/comment.htm

5th paragraph down starting with "Apparently".

What it probably boils down to is that 3D geometry means these
are the most efficient packing arrangements and so plants exhibiting
these traits will have a selective advantage. Or that surviving
plant species will exhibit the most efficient arrangement of
parts.

michael adams