Old 01-07-2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

Default Cucumber beetles continued

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article , says...

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Matthew
Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam says...
These pests are devestating my cukes, squash, and are nibbling
on my
beans
and sunflowers. I don't want to use the chemicals because the
plants
are
starting to produce - my zuccinnis are exploding, cukes are
blooming,
etc.
What works with these things, but won't render the fruit of the
plants
inedible?

-- There are BT strains for beetles, but not sure if I have ever
seen it
on the consumer market yet....pyrethrum spray has no residual so a
spraying at night should help a lot and not bother your harvest
time.
Lar

In my experience Pyrethrum has little effect on these beetles and the
damage
they do.

Pyrethrum is a continual use product for population reduction. Many feel
a spray or two and they should have results they want. It only kills
what it contacts so the next few days a new population can make their
way to the crops and look to have done no good at all. A nightly
application for one to two weeks will show results and then start again
as needed.
--
Lar

They spray was dripping off the beetles. When I went back in a few hours to
check they were all still there. I didn't appear to have killed any. They
decimated the crape myrtle and cannas last summer.